Within the IATI activity standard there are three ways to describe the geography of an iati-activity:
- recipient-country - the country that will benefit from the iati-activity.
- recipient-region - geopolitical region (above the country level) that will benefit from the iati-activity.
- location - a geographical location of the iati-activity.
In addition, the following can also be utilised:
- activity-scope - to classify the geographic coverage of the the iati-activity.
When using the IATI activity standard to describe geography, the following should be considered:
- When describing the recipient-country the relevant Country code must be used.
- When describing the recipient-region the relevant Region code must be used.
- It is possible to have multiple recipient-country in an iati-activity.
- It is possible to have multiple recipient-region in an iati-activity.
- When declaring multiple recipient-country or recipient-region then a @pecentage must be declared. These must sum to 100% across both elements per region vocabulary.
- If a recipient-country is known, then a recipient-region is not expected.
- If a recipient-country is not known, then a recipient-region is expected.
- The activity-scope element should only be used once. It must use a relevant ActivityScope code.
In versions 2.01 and above, the following must also be considered:
- It is not desirable to include the freetext name of any recipient-country or recipient-region. Only in exceptional circumstances - where the publishing organisation must provide different text to the name on the relevant Country or Region codelist.
- Multiple recipient-country and recipient-region elements can be reported. In such cases, the @percentage must be declared, and sum to 100 across both elements per region vocabulary.
- Both a recipient-country and recipient-region can also be published as child elements of a transaction. When this is done, it is expected that all transaction include such data, whilst the relevant element is subsequently not included at the iati-activity level.