Within the IATI organisation standard any number of links to relevant documents can be declared using:
- document-link - a categorized link to an external document.
When using the IATI organisation standard to declare documents, the following should be considered:
- In the IATI organisation standard, documents that relate to the organisation/agency would be linked to. iati-activity specific documents are published via the IATI activity standard.
- All document-link should be presented in the form of URLs (eg: http://example.org/exampledocument.odt)
- The URL must resolve to a valid internet address that provides direct access to the document in question.
- Attention should be paid by the publisher to any links that become obsolete.
- The same document can be presented in different languages via separate document-link elements.
- For every document presented either a title or category is expected (or both).
- The title element can be repeated for different languages, regardless of the language of the actual document.
- The free-text instances of title should avoid use of text in CAPITALS, where possible.
- For document category in the IATI organisation standard, it is expected that the DocumentCategory code would be have the B prefix.
- DocumentCategory code A documents should only be reported if there is a good reason for the document not to be linked to a specific iati-activity.
- Using the format attribute helps inform what to expect from the document.
- Use of the format must be accompanied by a code on the FileFormat codelist.